Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Remember names! How do I remember people's name?

I meet new people frequently, and you know what? I have a lot of problem in remembering names! Some that I really admire are easy to remember, but most are not.
Most of the time, I'm way too busy thinking of how should I present myself, what can I say to make a good impression, what am I doing with my hands, yadda yadda, that I forgot to remember the most important thing about a person! Their name!
So without further ado, here are a couple of tips in remembering names!

  • Repeat the name
  • Ask a question using the name
  • Come up with an association
  • Use your visual memory
  • Link the visual cues to an outstanding feature
  • Remember even more than the name
  • Review
Those are tips from AskMen's Chester Santos But for me, I find that the best way to remember someone's name is to use it in sentences, asking them something, or origins of their names are a good way! Then again, there are a lot of times where I missed the first time they say their name, that's when I ask them how to spell it, to show that I'm interested in their name and I care about them. The downside is, I kinda look stupid if their name is an easy one, such as John, or Mary. If it's a business meeting, it's usually easier to remember names because:
  • The person is in a business relationship with you, thus you need him/her for something, making him/her quite important
  • Business card exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment