Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I want a good looking desktop!

I think my desktop looks ugly! I want to revamp it, what should I do? That was what I thought before, and here's what I do to make it easier on the eyes

My desktop:


If you don't like the icons around your desktop, then, the first thing to do is to throw away all the clutter around your desktop. I removed all my icons, and set the desktop to not show any icons. Most icons can just be deleted, but some, like my computer, bla bla bla, can't. To hide icons, right-click on the background, choose view, and click show desktop icons.

My desktop's all clean now! What do I do next?

If you want an object bar like mine, use ObjectDock. Pick those applications that you use frequently, and put the shortcut in objectdock.

In this way, you'll remove all the pesky windows icons, but still has a piffy shortcut set up on your background.

But I like the windows icons! Are there anything to make them less cluttered?

For one thing, you can just fence the icons, using Fences. And categorize your icons. But still, not overly cluttering your desktop is a key to faster performance & better looks.

Okay, I'm happy with the icons, or ObjectDock that I'm using, what now?

Find a suitable background. Check your resolution, and find a background with that proportion, in either the same size or bigger. For example, my desktop is 1900x600. Then I should find and use a background with that resolution or bigger. My current background is 1920x1200.

Don't stretch the images that you like just for the sake to be your background, seriously, stretching images way too big will just ruin the image. Find some other background, or search for a bigger version of the image. I'm sure there's others that you like.

Find the background you love? Good.

Next, if you want widgets around your desktop that's actually useful, I recommend using Rainmeter. You can search for widgets all around the internet, just search Rainmeter Skins on google, and look for what you like. Then put in on your rainmeter, and set it up on your desktop!

All done now! Enjoy your new desktop, and have fun customizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment